In the XIIth century, Pyrenean roads were taken by knights, clerics, traders or migrants which were attracted by spanish wealth. To make these journeys easier, kings, lords and monks created a network of hospitals.
The monks of Sainte-Christine abbey of the Somport built an "Hospital of Mercy" on a road connecting the Bearn in the Navarre. The first document quoting this hospital is from 1216.
At this time, travellers stopped in sanctuaries they met on the road. Next to the hospital, we built a church which is probably since the beginning a place of pilgrimage.
Hôpital Saint-Blaise has arables, a mill and it collects the tithe about the nearest village. A little community of priests and laypeople maintains the church and welcomes travellers.
This community remains until the Revolution. After several centuries, the hospital is abandoned and it disappears totally at the end of the XIXth century.
Away from the main roads, Hôpital Saint-Blaise is a little populated rural district. At the end of the XIXth century, there were 200 inhabitants. Today, it counts 80